Flo in L.A

Flo in L.A

Google Website Translator Gadget

Tuesday 16 October 2012

Flowing Asia: Thailand - Chiang Mai




And the adventure continues! So after Ayutthaya, I headed over to Chiang Mai. Chiang Mai is a large city in Thailand and it’s situated in the NORTH (it’s already a good start!).



I took the train to get there, 2nd class, air con, big spender! Let me tell you some things about the trains in Thailand: they’re cheap, they’re quite comfortable, they run LATE!
One of the good things is that they give you food on board; you all know I love free food. Cheeky cake and that:
Toilet is pretty oldschool, but it does the job:
Rice field everywhere, green as ever!
On the way up, we hit a cow near the final destination. Gutted. We were late already, we had to reverse to the closest train station and fix the front!
How many mechanics does it take to fix a train?
The amazing results, fixed with wire and a chain... All that for that!



Chiang Mai is a smaller city. I like it up there. People are a lot friendlier and the vibe seems more chilled. The old city was surrounded by a wall, only a few gates and the corners remain:
East Gate aka Tha Phae:
One of the 4 corners:

I have also visited more temples. I don’t think I will post many more pictures of temples, so make the most of it now:
-Wat Chedi Lung and Wat Phra Sing:
 
 

Around temples you come across proverbs on trees. These are my 2 favorite ones:



In Chiang Mai, I stayed in the cheapest hostel ever, 2,50 euros a night! The problem is that it was also pretty ghetto: mega hot rooms, condoms on the floor of the dorms, toilets you can’t flush… 
Ah the joys of traveling. 
On the last night I even saw a cat smashing up a mouse in the corridor, if you have never heard a mouse scream, you haven’t lived!
This is what the bathroom looked like, the shower is right above the loo, my compliments to the architect:



I also went training in Chiang Mai, the breaking scene is very healthy here, loads of kids, nice space, supportive older bboys. Everyone is mad friendly too.
Training space in Kad Suan Kaew Shopping mall:
I think this is more for battles and shows:
Group picture with Maharajah Crew and friends:
West Side:



In other news…
-Check out Skill Barbers if you come here, run by bboy Getto, real shiz:
-Some kind of weird fruit that doesn’t taste of anything:
-Dragon!
 
-You have to respect the sense of organisation:
-Why would you get chicken and rice at McD’s when you can buy that half the price in the street:
 
-Monk chat, you can talk about… Well… Anything!
-This marching band was practicing next to a temple, they were playing The Final Countdown haha, too funny:



If you go to Thailand, you have to go to Chiang Mai, straight up!








*BONUS* Because I like you, I will give you one last story:

I was just walking around a temple in town absorbing some culture and knowledge. As always I’m swagging about: white vest, black hat, shorts, trainers etc… (the classic holiday outfit). So I’m just checking things out when I hear someone shout: “BBOY!” I turn around, there is this little monk, 15 years old, all skinny, shaved hair, classic orange robe, grinning at me!
What I gathered from our laborious conversation is that he used to break but now he can’t because he’s a monk (that was the punch line, thank you).


No comments:

Post a Comment